Looking After Your New Jewellery
If you were lucky enough to have received some new jewellery for Christmas, then perhaps you are looking for ways to keep your new piece in tip top condition. Looking after your jewellery can prolong the life of your gifts, whether it’s sterling silver, crystal or gold, you can help to keep your jewellery looking like new with the right care and cleaning. We know that gifted jewellery has a lot of sentimental value, so we understand you want to make sure your precious pieces are cared for and last a lifetime.
- Always Remove When Cleaning
If you are going to be cleaning, make sure you remove your jewellery first. Spraying chemicals around your jewellery could affect its look, so always remove it before you start cleaning and using cleaning liquids.
- Stay Away From Chemicals
Try and stay away from chemicals and don’t spray perfume or apply makeup while wearing your jewellery. Perfume could tarnish your pieces and makeup could affect the look of your jewellery also.
- Take Off Your Jewellery In Water
Remove all jewellery before getting into water. This includes getting into a spa or pool as chlorinated water may discolour your jewellery.
- Keep Away From Direct Sunlight
Try and keep your jewellery out of direct sunlight, also try and avoid wearing your pieces in extreme temperatures and keep away from humid areas.
Cleaning Silver and Diamond Jewellery
- Simply mix a small amount of dish soap with some warm water.
- Dip a cloth into the solution and rub the jewellery clean.
- Rinse off with cool water, then buff with a dry, clean cloth.
- For more deeper cleaning, you can try mixing water with baking soda, dampen the jewellery and apply the mix with a cloth.
Cleaning Gold Jewellery
- Mix dish soap with club soda and allow your pieces to soak in the mixture for a few minutes.
- Go over the jewellery with a soft toothbrush to remove any dirt which may be lingering under any prongs.
- Rinse in clean water and dry with a soft cloth.
Cleaning Pearl Jewellery
- Mix warm water with a small amount of shampoo.
- Dip a soft makeup brush into the solution and brush your pearl jewellery.
- Rinse the pearls in clean water and leave to dry.
When you are not wearing your jewellery, try and keep it store in a safe place. A jewellery box is your best bet, making sure it is out of direct sunlight. You may also want to store each piece in separate plastic bags or soft fabric pouches. This will help prevent the pieces scratching against one another or getting tangled up. It will also help to protect your jewellery from dust and dirt.
Here at Joshua James, not only do we stock a fine selection of jewellery, but we also know how to look after our pieces too. So if you received new jewellery this Christmas and want to know exactly how to care for your gifts, make sure to read our guide above on how to care, clean and store your precious pieces. Whether you were gifted a beautiful charm bracelet, a diamond ring or a luxurious crystal necklace, you can look after your jewellery with ease by following our helpful guide.